söndag 9 februari 2014

Walking around looking at architecture


Yesterday I decided to have another look around town in the afternoon. Since it was quite sunny after lunch I thought it would be nice to walk there to get to know the area between the city center as well.

Since it was both Saturday, nice weather and not too cold there was a lot of people out. To me, it felt like spring in Sweden and I became happy just because of the weather.

On my way to town I passed through Wicker Arches, and as a ex engineering student I had to read the sign and take some photos of it. It got extra points for being built just for carrying railway. It got bombed during the war 1940, and then, according to the sign, partly dismantled during the electrification. In 1990, the arches where restored. 




Another arch I saw as a approached the central parts of Sheffield. To to far from this one I finally found a post office where I could buy stamps. I was also surprised that they could change some Swedish bills that I accidentally brought with me to England.


Then I walked around the city center once again and it started to rain again. This stereotype that it always rain in Britain seems not be based on a true story. This street was a big shopping street with a lot of people.


I thought this red building to the left was quite cool, so on my way back I took another picture of it.


Then I walked towards the Devonshire Green, which had some funny sculpture walls that I liked. I started to rain even more so I couldn't sit on the benches and enjoy the park. As you can see, the colored line changes color like a rainbow as it travels along the wall.



The color change of the line was possible since it was composed of many small tiles. Devonshire Green looked to be a little bit under construction, but I liked this area. It some way it reminds me a little bit of the pictures I have seen of Gaudi's Park Güell in Barcelona (but I haven't been there).


Then, I ran into the area of one of Sheffield two universities, Sheffield university. I saw this building which i though looked cools as well. I think architecture in general are moving towards free form building rather than 90-degree shapes. I also liked that the house in the background to the left had like a tunnel through it. 


The building underneath looks very gothic and English. I think I saw a sign that it in some way belongs to the University of Sheffield but I am not sure what it is used for.


Then I just had to take a photo of this street sign since Portobello both is a Swedish soft drink, a mushroom and a market in London that I remember from the first time i visited England with my family.


Then I walked around some more in the area as it started to get a little bit darker, but I will continue in the next post.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar